The John Roan School has a proud history of educating the young people of Greenwich for almost 400 years.

The John Roan School was founded in Greenwich through the will of John Roan (c1602-1644), Yeoman of Harriers to King Charles I and/or Yeoman of His Majesty's Greyhounds. This endowed a school to educate poor children from east Greenwich up to the age of fifteen including money towards the childrens' clothing. It was initially known as the Greycoat School of the Foundation of Mr John Roan with the first schoolmaster appointed in 1690. A sister school for the education of girls was set up in 1814. The Roan School for Boys was the first occupant of the Maze Hill site in 1927. The school is now co-educational with a sister site at Westcombe Park. The foundation stone was laid by Sir George Hume, the chairman of London County Council in 1926 and it was opened in 1927, by the Right Honourable HAL Fisher, MP (historian and politican) who was then the Warden of New College Oxford, although curiously the building does not appear to have been completed until the following year (a further ceremony was held in 1928.) There have been some additions to the premises since then, most notably the addition of a technical block to the north and the infilling of the inner courts to provide more classrooms in the 1960s and latterly, in the 1980s, provision of external ramps and a lift to facilitate disabled access.

Read more at https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1393296?section=official-list-entry

The historic Grade 2 listed building on Maze Hill opposite Greenwich Park

Our beautiful Maze Hill site was built in 1926-28 in a Neo-Georgian style

...to the designs of the architects Sir Bannister Fletcher and Percy Boothroyd Dannatt. It is designated for listing at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * An inter-war school of quality which exhibits thoughtful detailing and planning including the provision of specialist classrooms, all within a scholarly execution of the Neo-Georgian tradition; this a reflection of the historicist interests of the architects responsible for the design. * While there have been some inevitable alterations and additions, the building is relatively unaltered with its original plan-form readable and retaining many original features both externally and internally.

The school is part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB. Tel: 01832 864 444

Financial Accountability and Freedom of Information
Website Terms, Cookies and Privacy
Policies

United Learning

We use Google Analytics cookies to help improve the content of this site, tick the Analytics and click on save if you agree to this. The analytics data is anonymous.